The Portland Society for Calligraphy
February 17, 2011
Established in 1969 by Lloyd J. Reynolds and a group of like-minded calligraphers as The Western American Branch of the Society for Italic Handwriting and incorporated as a nonprofit in 1973. This was in association with The Society for Italic Handwriting founded by Alfred Fairbank, a most notable British calligrapher, in 1952. The name was changed to The Portland Society for Calligraphy in 1984.
PSC, sponsor of Calligraphy Northwest 2012, has hosted two previous international conferences, 1987 and 1991, both directed by Carol DuBosch.
With an active membership, the guild holds monthly meetings, frequent and varied workshops and continues to reach out into the community with a number of activities.
The spirit of Lloyd Reynolds is still present as he is quoted in our mission statement. “Through study, understanding and critical practice, let us promote this healthy arts and crafts movement.” Lloyd Reynolds